Nürburgring - Nordschleife
The Green Hell Legend: the Nordschleife.
The Nürburgring is made up of two racetracks: the Nordschleife which was opened in 1927 as the “First Hilly Racing and Test Track” and the Grand Prix Circuit inaugurated in 1984. The two circuits, which can be driven around in combination, are together about 26 kilometres, making the Nürburgring the longest permanent racetrack in the world. A total of 40 left-hand bends, 50 right-hand bends and a 300m height difference with extreme slopes and gradients ensure a significant adrenaline kick for both drivers and spectators.
Since its construction (1925 - 1927), the Nordschleife has enjoyed a reputation as a terrifying and merciless route through the Eifel forests. An English journalist who visited the Nordschleife during the opening race on 18 June 1927 even concluded “that it seemed as if a reeling, drunken giant had been sent out to determine the route”. The Formula 1 pilot Sir John Young Jackie Stewart – after all a three-time world champion in 1969, 1971 and 1973 – was so impressed by the circuit that he gave it the name which it will probably never lose: Green Hell (Grüne Hölle).
The best-known event today is the ADAC Zurich 24-hour race, which is held on both the Nordschleife and the Grand Prix circuit and which for three days transforms the entire circuit into a huge spectacle. Up to 800 amateurs and professionals in up to 200 cars take part in this race.
Nürburgring Boulevard 1
50° 20' 4'' N 6° 56' 49'' E